Friday, September 26, 2014

another step closer to class

9/25 - I spent my day walking around Poole and taking pictures for all of you, and I'm sure you've seen them already. Yes, they're crappy iPhone pictures of large areas, but at least I was thinking of you all. I thought it was really neat when I came across a cycling velodrome on the edge of the park by the harbor. It was surrounded by trees and sunken into the ground, so it's hard to miss unless you walk right up to it. I'd say it's about 30-40 yards in length at the most, and it's a cozy little oval track, good for lots of physical riding and crashes.
There's an event there on Sunday between a couple local cycling clubs at 2 p.m. I was planning on going to that, but I recently realized football practice is on Sunday from Noon to 2 p.m., and then after that, I've been encouraged to stay for the freshman camp from 2-4 p.m. (By the way, freshmen here are called "freshers, which is something that just sounds dumb to me. But then again, my accent probably sounds dumb to a lot of people.) And on Saturday I'll go to what's called the Fresher's Fair, which is basically a gathering of all the clubs and societies at school.
But I bought myself a SIM card for my iPhone with a company called "Three." I thought I'd be up and running with a phone number in no time. However, six hours and a second trip to the store later, I still don't have a phone number. My phone won't activate. It keeps saying the SIM is invalid, which is incredibly frustrating. I even completely restored the phone to factory settings, which also erased all my notes and pictures, in hopes of that working. Nope. Jess did tell me it can take a phone up to 48 hours to activate, so I'll be patient.
My day wasn't that busy since I had nothing going on at campus. I have my class schedule now (or as the Brits call it, a "timetable." I have Mondays off and three classes, I believe. The first break is about a month long during Christmas time as well. I can't wait to get started, though I realize this is going to take some serious commitment on my part. I'm notorious for not putting in my full effort in on school work, and this is going to be a full time job. How I deal with this, along with football practice three times a week, I don't know, and that's honest. I've said this before, but I think it'll be interesting to see how I do after almost two years away from school.
Lastly, I signed up for a volunteer language program at school called Language@BU that can be done at my own pace. So of course I signed up for Spanish at the intermediate level. And looking at the worksheets today, they're nothing too difficult, though there are some verbs I don't recognize. But I realized while reading through them I can decipher what they mean just by the context of the sentence. I thought that was cool because that means I'm learning and understanding the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment