Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Steve Nash, wrestling, potential CrossFit and more Couchsurfing

22/3 - Steve Nash finally retired from basketball this weekend. He wrote a farewell letter that thanked some of the most important people in his life, and he looked back at his journey through the sport and how it helped him grow. It got me thinking about my time here in England. This is not the time for explaining what this move means to me, as that would take thousands of words. But right here I will say this: I made the right decision to come here. It's my second home. I don't want to leave. It feels like I've been here for such a long time; it was a lifetime ago I first stepped off the plane and came to Bournemouth for the first time. I was so worried about how far Corfe House is from campus. Having said that, I'll miss Nash playing basketball like I do Shaq.

I think Spring has finally arrived in Bournemouth. It was actually warm and sunny today. Absolutely stunning. The little insects that fly around in warm weather and get in your face at the most inopportune time have arrived, like during rugby practice today. And of course, you know the season has changed for the better when you get a sunburn on your face. 

It's looking like I'm going to have to take a trip to Kenya in the summer. I now have two people who have invited me to stay with them: Stella and one of her friends. If I do go, the thing I would look forward to most is sitting around a table and eating food. I wonder how different it tastes? 

I received my season ticket for Poole Town yesterday. I talked to one of the chairmen for a few minutes before the game started and he was so appreciative of what I've been doing for them. I love the fact I've been given this opportunity, and this is why I like sports writing; everyone has a story. 

After the game I did another player interview to be featured in the programme, with captain Jamie Whisken. But with my iPhone being unreliable in cold weather, I had to take hand-written notes during the interview. That's fine, but they will not be able to help me write a story because I lost the notes on the walk home from Tatnam Ground. Typical. It wasn't meant to be, so I'll have to do the interview again. 

23/3 - I'm so sore from rugby practice on Sunday. We did six reps of 10-meter broad jumps, and now my quads are dead. So what's the best thing to do while sore? More exercise!

Danny and I went to a mixed martial arts gym in Bournemouth and joined the wrestling class for the evening. So, once again, I found myself learning something new, in this case a trio of wrestling moves. Wrestling is so technical. And if you're not in shape, you'll be on your backside. After we finished, I was drenched in sweat, sported a new massive bruise on my arm and suffered from floor burn on my knees and feet. Ah, just like old times! I'll definitely go do it again.

25/3 - I found an Indie rock band yesterday which I really like. It's called The War On Drugs. I found myself dancing to it when I was cooking.

But today, straight after rugby practice, I had a meeting at the West Hants Club to get more information for a school assignment. I met with the same guy who gave us a tour a few weeks ago. And again he offered me a cup of coffee! Luckily this time I took my time with it and I felt fine. But we were talking for an hour so I think I got enough for my assignment. I like talking to that guy too; he makes me want to join the Crossfit gym there. Though the club is really close to school, it's in an upper class neighborhood surrounded by elderly people. So naturally, I'd be the youngest one there most of the time.

But a good Crossfit gym is something I miss about California and Porterville. The gym in Poole close to Corfe House is too small and on the third floor of the shopping center, so it's very limited. I'll at least check out the one at West Hants Club.

I've booked my train tickets to take me to London to Couchsurf this weekend. The guy's name is Josep, and I think he's a veterinarian. But I'm looking forward to it.

One last thing: it looks like my phone has erased all of my contact numbers. Somehow, I'm not really surprised, or angry for that matter. This is one old phone and is on its last legs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment