Friday, July 3, 2015

Zaragoza, heat and condescending children

28/6 - I NEED a pair of shorts and sandals. Clothes that are perfect for England are so uncomfortable in Spain. For example, I went to Zaragoza today wearing jeans in 100-plus degree weather. I was drenched with sweat all day. But I digress. Minor inconvenience.

It's so cheap to travel from La Almunia to Zaragoza and back on a bus. In total, I spent €9. I always love visiting a new city, and this was no different, even though it was so hot. I went to a flea market and sat down for 10 minutes during a service in Catedral-Basilica de Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza. Though I couldn't do much else because it was Sunday, I still enjoyed myself.

I thought this was hilarious when I found it in the flea market in Zaragoza. It says "Bush will go to Iraq." Bush's speech bubble says "because I want to!"



29/6 - Felix drives a taxi. He's always close to his phone and answers it as soon as it rings, and sometimes he drives people to Zaragoza and back. It's how he earns money, and it's a struggle for the family sometimes. He wants to learn English so he can get a better job to support his family more.

I've only been here a week, but everyone already sounds a bit better with English. Felix said the kids are already improving, so he thanked me for that. I'm improving too; can I stay here longer? (Just kidding...or am I?)

People say one should develop their own reality. What does that mean? I think that means you should get on the back of a dragon and fly towards the sun, speaking in strange tongues and licking ice cream while staring at George W. Bush, who is riding with you. But this GWB speaks Russian! So I guess English and Spanish will be no help here. Time to learn sign language! Don't bother, Bush turned into an ape. Jump off the dragon's back before Bush flings his poo! Stinky. Just like Harry Potter, you land safe and sound in a lake after leaving the dragon. However, you have a vision of Lord Voldemort's final Horcrux, which is at Hogwarts...

Wow, this constant, dry, stuffy heat is really getting to me.

30/6 - Learning how to trill the "rr" sound in the Spanish alphabet is incredibly difficult, especially for me. It's a sound that's essential for the language, but it's completely different from English; there's nothing like it in English, so it's a new sound to me. I'm not even sure how to relax my tongue in order to make that sound. It's one of those things you have to practice a lot, and once you get it, it's like riding a bike. Or a horse. Or a motorcycle. Or a snowboard.

Today was the final day of June, and I have to say that was an incredible month. I think it's safe to say that was the best month I've had since coming to Europe. A 721-mile motorcycle ride kicked it off, followed by a mind-blowing, all-other-beers-have-now-been-ruined beer in Wales, a week with Japanese students in London and setting up camp in small-town Spain for a month.

1/7 - I've had some great food in the past week. Felix and Rosa said lamb is very popular in this part of Spain. I had some horchata today, which tastes like very sweet almond milk. And then there's always the leg of jamon serrano.

I've also learned how many different accents and languages there are in Spain. Felix said he can't understand the accent from Andalucia, and even I can tell when accents differ.

3/7 - Everyone in La Almunia knows each other. I've seen the same people around town, and it's a little strange.

You really have to be patient with Nuria. She's a little beast! She doesn't listen and is pretty rude, especially when I made guacamole. She straight-up said it looks gross and she doesn't like it. Then during the meal she started singing "guacamole is crappy!" But then I gotta tell myself to step back and remember she's only 7. But this week and a half with this family reinforced my desire to not have kids for a very long time. Considering young children have no idea how to handle their emotions so they burst out into screaming tears because they couldn't get out of the car while it was being parked (a time span of one minute), I don't need or want that. I can't understand how children are so illogical.

Damn...was I like that?

It's funny saying something in Spanish to the kids because they try to correct my accent. And when I ask them to show me how to trill the "r" sound, they look dumbfounded because that's the easiest sound in the world. Then they, especially Nuria, get in my face and trill in a very loud, piercing voice.

Anyway, I still haven't got myself shorts yet. Everyday is so hot, and I'm really not enjoying sitting in my own sweat. I think I'll get a haircut at the very least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment