Saturday, August 22, 2015

Scams, goodbyes and calls from Spain

17/8 - It's still dissertation time. But this week, I've put my head down and focused only on being on campus so I can complete it. It's one of those things that is so repulsive you just get down and do it, like shoveling down a gag-inducing food. You hate it, but at the same time you know it's healthy, so you eat it quickly without really tasting it.

And one strange thing I experienced today was the fact the most difficult part of the dissertation, doing the experiments and calculating the results, actually becomes fun once it comes to writing down the results. Luckily, I hope it's all downhill from here, as there are just 5,000 words left. Getting it done by Monday is my goal.

Lately I've been watching videos of color-blind people using special sunglasses to see real color for the first time. It's amazing how overwhelmed they are. I would like to say I had that feeling of euphoria for two straight months this summer, but I didn't see vivid color for the first time or hear a loved-one's voice for the first time. The feeling of incredible adventure is separate from the ecstasy of realizing one of your five basic senses is working properly for the first time in your life; it's more emotional, like Stella seeing snow for the first time in February.

19/8 - Another day, another grind. I've been in this computer lab all week, slowly putting the dissertation together. Especially yesterday, I was exhausted, my brain fried and eyes smoking. It'll all be worth it though. I'm so close to finishing, and yet, here I am, blogging. Stop procrastinating!

Luckily, the monotony was broken this morning with a Facetime call from Felix, Alex and Nuria from La Almunia. It was great to speak to everyone again. It was a conversation between friends in different countries, and there was a noticeable difference speaking to them now compared to before I went to Spain. It was more natural. Nuria was exactly how I remember, as she stuck her face in the middle of the camera while showing off her bikini tops and making silly faces, thus blocking out the other two. They showed me a pair of coins I apparently left at their house, and because of those they asked me to come to their house to pick up what is mine.

Ha, I see what you did there!



Remember that motorcycle I wanted to buy last week, how it seemed like a deal too good to be true through a shady online character not offering much information of substance? Well, the bike is mine. Since the person said the bike is in possession of Ebay, I emailed them and they gave me the VIN number and reassured me the bike is real. Plus, if I want my money back, I get it back no problem; that convinced me to make this deal. And if nothing else, I can flip this bike for $4,000 profit. So I'm looking forward to going back to California and riding this 2008 Honda CBR1000RR.

But don't worry, I won't be drag racing a Lamborghini at 190 mph. This is something that needs massive respect. I understand how powerful this bike (or superbike) is and that I need to be careful. It's a machine designed for the race track, such as Leguna Seca. None of that for me. This bike will be used for commuting and the occasional adventure like the one in June, only this time the trip will go through the Sequoia National Park. Imagine the insane giggling going on in my helmet during that trip!

P.S. If I did somehow get into a drag race with a Lamborghini with this bike, I'd easily win.

20/8 - This time in England has been 11 months of firsts. Today, we'll add another first: That motorcycle I was gushing about was a scam. I was scammed; Luckily, I didn't lose any money. However, my money is now kind of spread out, and it'll be tough to reunite it again. There are lessons from this. While I thought I was skeptical and did my due diligence, I didn't do enough. What I should have done from the outset was contact Ebay through a live chat.

This shook me. I feel so naive and stupid for believing this, and it makes me not want to buy anything online again. I think the worst part is how ironic it is. While exchanging emails with this person (or entity) I said I've been scammed before and vowed to never let it happen again.

*Facepalm

So I should look back on this with positivity. I was lucky that I didn't lose anything. Stupid mind of a kid!

21/8 - Last night was a goodbye party in Corfe House. We are going our separate ways very soon, but I'm not sad. This has been a fantastic year filled with great people who are life-long friends and great memories, exactly the reason I came to England in the first place. I accomplished what I wanted to do. The party was great, and the night included a cruise in the harbor during the fireworks show drinking wine. And you know it was a good night when pictures surface the morning after showing someone in particular walking down the street with a traffic cone over their face.




My dissertation is written up, but it needs revising. It passed 16,000 words today. However, I'm going to be revising while traveling. Again. Until the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment