Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Another completely new life

11/9 - I experienced a bit of culture shock upon reentry to the United States. The TSA is so cold and indifferent, and they search your bags when you check them. Plus, you have to recheck the bags upon reentry. I strongly dislike flying within America; luckily this time I wasn't sick.

Using American money is stange too. I'm used to purple, orange, blue and green bills, all of different sizes. Here i'm back to using monotone and monosize USD. I even confused some members of the local bank in Porterville with British pounds. They had never seen it before!

16/9 - After spending time with my parents, some local friends and meeting up with Magda in Monterey (it was her first time in California), I find myself in Porterville once again. It was a very surreal feeling being back in this city. When I parked in the parking lot, I was in awe, as in "how the hell did I get back here?"

19/9 - Everything is familiar. I've been having this feeling that the year in Europe was like one long dream, and I only recently woke up from it. Since I'm immediately back in Porterville, it feels like coming back from an extended holiday. The people here are mostly the same and I already know most of the coaches and sport names in the area, and I've had several handshakes from them saying they're glad to have me back. It's a cool feeling.

I'm really enjoying my time back here. That usual timeframe when you don't know anyone well in your first week at a new job doesn't exist here, and I've slotted right in.  But the more I think about it, I left Europe to come back to Porterville? 

What the hell was I thinking? I definitely questioned my decision today.

I absolutely love staying on the ranch in Springville. This is because, if I'm feeling bad about my decision to return like I was today, all I need to do is step outside at night and look at the sky. There is no light here, so the stars and Milky Way galaxy shine bright. Occasionally, if you're patient enough, you can see the momentary, bright white flash of a shooting star. Add in the fact the silence of the area rings in your ears, combined with the rare call from a member of the cattle herd, and this adds up to an incredibly peaceful place. It puts things in perspective. My perceived issues here are nothing in comparison to those flaming balls of gas thousands of light years away, glowing in the inky black sky. It's a thrill just to be able to call this place a temporary home, and I completely understand why Mr. Gill has spent his life here on Hilltop.

22/9 - I'm being patient with finding both a permanent apartment and vehicle. I think I've found a roommate, though. Yesterday I met with Bill (not the Bill from England), a teacher at Porterville High School who commutes from Los Angeles every week. We spent 20 minutes talking, and it seems like the perfect situation. We won't see each other very often because of our schedules, and I'd have an apartment to myself most of the time. But of course, I'm not sure if I completely trust him yet.

I think I'll go ahead with the Coast Guard idea. It seems like a smart way to go, and it's something that benefits other people. I left the recruiter in Fresno a message, but I haven't gotten a call back yet. At the very least, I'd like to talk to them to get all of the information possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment