Saturday, December 10, 2016

Light Bulbs in Lisbon

Before I begin, please keep in mind that my camera does not do the city justice. You all are being short-changed with these photos.


I will remember Lisbon, Portugal with fond memories because it is one of the most unique cities I've visited, and for its role in more self-discovery.

It's as simple as the fragrant smoke that emanates from countless carts pushing Castanhas (roasted chestnuts). The Castanhas are roasted until the shell turns white and brittle, and the nut itself almost tastes sweet from the cooking.

Lisbon's individuality comes from every single uneven cobblestone that makes up the streets, every intricate tile design that forms a footpath (which most of the time cause the sidewalks to form humps, cracks and flaws, thus making walking a challenge) or wall, every narrow staircase between homes that sit on the hills above the river.




The streetcars and trolleys that snake their way up these hills remind me of San Francisco, as well as Ponte 25 de Abril, the structure that looks strikingly similar to the Golden Gate bridge.

Even the hostel in which I stayed provided simple yet powerful moments, and they consisted of eating carrot and ginger soup whipped up by one of the cooks while mingling at the kitchen table with people from Australia, America, France, South Africa, Venezuela and Portugal, among other places. It was like eating with family!

One of my favorite moments of this brief trip was when my friend and I sat down for a coffee in a tiny, random cafe found after snaking our way down the hill using those staircases that make up the neighborhood. The walls were painted a cobalt blue and a green parrot in a cage near the register occasionally squawked. And in the narrow entrance sat a jug of Ginjinha, a liquor infused with cherries (reminds me of sweet cough syrup), to entice passers-by to consider the cafe.

Part of Lisbon's charm is how colorful it is, from the color of rooftops to the many examples of graffiti art in the more local neighborhoods. It's also a game to see how many hidden, minuscule cafes there are among the twists, stairwells, shadowy corners and outcrops. 

This trip was much more than shallow tourist traps. I see it as an extension of my ongoing, never-ending education. Before coming to Lisbon I had known little about Portugal and her people, but I am confident in saying that I know more than I did. Among my other activities was visiting the Estadio da Luz (home stadium of SL Benfica, one of Portugal's largest football clubs whose mascot is a bald eagle) and stumbling upon a modern art museum which featured the most cheeky work of art I've seen in Europe, because it is essentially the artist teasing everyone else with the prospect of an abstract thought.



This trip also helped me learn about something I have been subconsciously searching for throughout the past six years or so. Before I left for France, a friend of mine suggested that the reason I move around so much is because I have yet to find what I'm looking for; At the time, I had no idea what that could mean. After some deep conversation while riding a train in Benfica and reflection in the airport, I do now.

I have been searching for equilibrium. How to achieve equilibrium, though, is another question entirely.

11/12 - It was a long travel day, but I'm back in Cherbourg. As with any of my traveling, it's a bit bittersweet to have completed another journey. But, it was still enjoyable to spend an afternoon in Paris waiting for my train, even though my stress levels rose while navigating the sheer amount of tourists the city presents. They are like a wave sometimes, especially when I visited Sacre-Coeur Cathedral today. 

There were moments when I caught myself stewing with annoyance because that takes me out of the present. At those points, I breathe, and step back. 

The rest of the day was spent in the south-eastern part of the city, where I watched Arsenal FC, my favorite football club, in a bar that is known to support AFC. Many of the Gooners inside were singing and chanting. Great way to end the trip. 

1 comment:

  1. Always enjoy reading your blogs. You'll never find what you are looking for don't worry about it. Explore until you burn out... then explore something else 🤘

    ReplyDelete