Saturday, January 12, 2019

A new job

13/12 - I got the call when I was in the Sherwin-Williams store in Natomas. While they took care of the product transfer, I stepped into their cavernous warehouse and answered the call from an unfamiliar number.

"We'd like to offer you the job," said the woman on the other line. 

"I accept," I said with no hesitation. 

I got the job as an office technician in the mental health office of San Quentin State Prison in Marin County. That was the end of a job search that lasted damn near two years, back to when I was laid off from Bleacher Report while waiting for a train in a crowded train station in Paris, in January 2017. 

Relief is the only thing I felt. Weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I wanted to sit down on top of a five-gallon bucket of paint in the warehouse because my knees had gone a little weak. I was, and still am, simply ecstatic that I no longer have to write a cover letter and fill out my education and work history for job applications. 

It's been a year and a half since I returned to California from France. I have no concrete number, but I estimate that I sent out between 150 and 200 applications. Since September, when I connected with a job developer through the California Department of Rehabilitation (it turns out that my heart condition makes me disabled), I have turned in more than 70 applications. 


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Sharon says to check for any testing taking place that will allow you to qualify you to advance. If so, are there any computer courses to take. Means more job opportunities and a higher pay scale. That from an old CDCR employee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally finished my book "Fire on Black Mountain" and it is available on Amazon. Doing well.

    ReplyDelete