Saturday, December 13, 2014

WorkAway for a week and Crystal Palace

13/12 - The past couple days have been very slow, but I have made some progress on one of my remaining assignments. I think there's too much time between now and the hand-in date in the middle of January.

I saw a stand-up comedian with Bill Thursday night named Mark Steel at the Lighthouse. There were a few references I didn't understand because I'm not British, but for the most part it was great. The guy went on for three hours and the ticket was just £13. Steel was good because he was engaging with the audience, and at one point he spent five whole minutes making fun of someone who actually got up in the middle of the act to go to the bathroom. And when the guy came back with a beer, Steel saw him and shouted, "you cheeky fucker!"

Yesterday was similarly as slow, but I met some of my football teammates and played some soccer on campus on the artificial turf. It was a fantastic way to end the week. But now I've tracked piles of those little black rubber chunks into my room.

But I've been looking forward to today since at least October. I'm going to London to see Crystal Palace play Stoke City at Selhurst Park with Bill. We're being given rides by a couple of his friends. This'll be great because I think Crystal Palace has some of the best fans in the Premier League, and also because I really don't like Stoke City so I'll try to find a way to shout insults at the players.

--Later--

Driving around London is excruciating. It's making me want to live there less and less. It's essentially one big maze that takes hours to get across, fighting through holiday traffic and navigating never-ending neighborhoods. Selhurst Park is in South London, and since there's no Tube station nearby (there's so many more Tube stations in North London compared to the South) driving is the only way there. But the stadium is cut into the side of a hill that overlooks a large part of the city, and it reminded me a little bit of San Francisco with the houses tiered going up the hill.

And of course, there's the obligatory trek through the neighborhood to the park. On the way there I was told by Bill and his friends to not really expect anything with Crystal Palace, otherwise you'll just be disappointed. But I wanted Palace to beat Stoke, because I really don't like Stoke City for what they always do to Arsenal and the fact their fans are tongue-chewing trolls.

That's Peter Crouch (I believe) of Stoke City heading the ball. Perfect timing. 


I like "Super Selhurst." Palace fans say it's a hole, but there's something great about it. It's very loud and cozy, and to be honest I prefer this stadium, which had about 23,000 people in the seats today, to Arsenal's stadium, which can hold 60,000 people, because the atmosphere is much better. And the toilets? It's just one long line of people peeing in one big trench below the stand, so I got four out of the five senses involved today! Palace drew 1-1 with Stoke City, which was a little disappointing because I wanted Stoke to lose. Badly. But the day was still great and it was a completely different experience to the Barcelona game (mostly due to the fact Barcelona has the best player in the world and is one of the three best teams in the world). I will most definitely go to another Palace game

There's one thing I noticed today. Driving on the left side of the road, the accents, everything that used to be different...just isn't anymore. 

There's one more thing to report. WorkAway has come through. In an act of total spontaneity, a woman agreed to host me for a week in Guildford (on the south west outskirts of London) beginning Monday. There I'll help with yardwork and with logistics for a play she's producing in London. I'll have a room to my own, I won't have to buy food and hopefully it turns out great, which it should. Her name is Charlotte. This is her first experience with a volunteer through WorkAway as well, so we're both WorkAway virgins. She did say she wished she asked for references, but I think she'll be just fine with me. And as you all, especially Brent, can attest to, inviting me, a total stranger, over to your place to help with chores and labor isn't a particularly bad idea.   

No comments:

Post a Comment