Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Final day with Kaichi students, lunch in London and rambunctious children in Spain

20/6 - Japanese kids like taking pictures. A LOT of pictures. Selfies, mostly. To the point of being narcissistic.

Friday was the last full day we had with the kids, and after the ultimate frisbee, oral presentations and farewell party that included them singing us group leaders a thank you song, it was the end of a very rewarding experience. This is something I will make a good effort to do next year, as I indicated on the program feedback form. There's lots of stuff I learned with this group, such as how good Japanese snacks and candy are, especially green tea Kit-Kats. Also, a well-fitting sportcoat does wonders for your appearance and confidence. Women don't usually come up to me and tell me I look cute...


It's funny because the kids talked to me more than they had all week on their final day in the country (Saturday). I and the rest of the leaders saw the group take off on the coaches, and I remembered to give my group a gift. I gave them a handwritten note in both English and Japanese, some balloons with the England flag on them and chocolate from Fortnum and Mason, though Yuto had to give Yuu my gift because he had disappeared again. So at the very least I've made some new friends.

I think this week showed people who are from the other side of the world aren't that different from the rest of us. They may have different habits or procedures, but they are still humans who love interaction with fellow humans. There are still bullies, nerds, popular kids, introverts, dorks, jocks, artsy types and hormones in Japanese high schools compared to what we're used to. It made me realize I'm not that different to them, even though I look very different. I never felt like an outsider, even though I was one of only a few non-Asians there. There was mutual benefit for everyone on this trip, and it succeeded in shrinking the size of the Earth. So, thank you, Jess, for introducing me to this program. It was a blast and I'm definitely doing it again.


21/6 - After getting paid and checking out, I took the tube into Central London so I could catch a train back to Poole, and I used my Oyster card for the first time in four years. It still works!

This was another one of those quick but incredibly meaningful trips into the center of the city, as I ate street food and met up with David Davies, my journalism teacher during my 2010 stint in the British Studies Program through the University of Southern Mississippi, and someone I hadn't seen in five years. Sunday was his first day in the U.K. in preparation for the 2015 edition of the BSP, only he's now the program director. It was excellent to eat at a spicy chicken restaurant down the street from Kings College with a former professor and catch up. It was very nostalgic. We spent a little less than two hours talking, but he eventually gave in to his jetlag and excused himself back to his hotel for a nap.

There's something I noticed today, though. I wasn't ecstatic to be back in this part of London. It didn't feel incredible. I wasn't deliriously happy or sport a stupid smirk on my face while walking the streets because I was in my favorite place in the world. No. It's strange to say, but it felt normal to be there, like Dave and I were catching up in any old restaurant in any other little town not named London! I know why; it's because I know that neighborhood, and nothing looks different to me. I've lived in this country for three-quarters of a year and I'm comfortable. Having said all of that, I got the chills when I saw the figure of Big Ben through the support structure of the London Eye. It literally never fails.

23/6 - I made it to Zaragoza and am now in La Almunia, Spain. Rosa collected me from the airport, and it's much easier to speak Spanish with them in person, not over Skype or Facetime. I started speaking Spanish right away, starting with a person on the airplane and later to the customs agent. La Almunia is in a dry, somewhat arid part of Spain at the base of some mountains. I haven't felt dry warmth like this in a very long time, and it's nice.

Felix, Rosa, Alex and Nuria are a very friendly and noisy family. Alex is 10 and he loves soccer. Nuria is 7 and she talks an incredible amount. I think Felix and Rosa were happy the two started talking in English to me so much straight away. It only took a few minutes of soccer to get the kids to really like me. But it's time to go to bed; I haven't had a true sleep in a couple of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment