Thursday, June 4, 2015

Safe and Sound after an adventure in Wales

4/6 - Who needs drugs when there are motorcycles, curvy roads and nature somewhere in the world?

There comes a point where you just begin to trust your motorcycle more, and that's when you start leaning into corners a little bit harder. I'd do it more, but I have to be able to see where the curve is going or how sharp it is. When I can see a series of curves that open up before me, that's one of my favorite sequences. Lean one way, then immediately lean the other and back again.

There are so many perks to a motorcycle. You can park it anywhere, you don't have to pay for parking or getting across the bridge and you don't have to be held up by something as mundane as a line of traffic. It's so convenient being just two wheels and an engine. Though it's super convenient, you get the unwanted perks as well, including all of the smells that come with a ride through sheep-and-cattle-filled Welsh countryside. And when you break free of a line of traffic caused by a slow-moving tractor or truck because you moved to the front of the line at a stoplight, it's like a wild stallion breaking free, bucking and neighing in enjoyment of freedom.

Like I said in the last post, I went all the way to Snowdonia National Park today, riding approximately 200 miles in the process. I did what I said I would do. And aside from riding in the wrong direction for 20 minutes immediately after starting this morning or not seeing an oncoming car when I was merging onto a road, it was a perfect day. It was the kind of adventure dreams are made of. It was sunny, not very windy and the colors of early summer were incredibly vibrant. Deep blue lakes, infinite light blue sky dotted with clouds, luscious, green vegetation, some purple, some yellow and countless fields of sheep. If there is some space where there are no sheep grazing, it's a wasted space here in Wales. There were also those stretches of road that go under thick snarls of tree branches, thus making you feel like you're royalty surrounded by servants holding up swords for you to ride through.

But this is awesome. Here I am in Wales, riding a motorcycle everywhere, shooting some video and doing some hiking. Why? Because I can.

I'm going to have to come back to Wales. I have no other choice. Sion is basically a friend now, and he's offered to do the whole hike in Snowdonia with me the next time I'm here.


Anyway, I rode to Pen-y-Pass to walk the Miners Trail on the way to Snowdon Peak. It was awesome to see mountain lakes in northern Wales like that, surrounded by the occasional group of sheep or goats. And there's almost no sound. When there is no one around you, all you can hear is the water from the numerous streams and waterfalls, a gentle breeze or the voice of a lamb. I didn't finish the trail because (1) I wasn't equipped to traverse a steep slope of unstable stones, (2) I was almost out of water and (3) I had to save some strength for the ride back to Lampeter.

But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I noticed in that whole area there's really nowhere you can't go. There are no areas blocked by a fence. If you want to blaze a trail to the top of the jagged, rocky hill, go for it. If you want to get some height between you and the trail so you can lie down and get a higher view of the area, that's cool. There's absolutely nothing stopping you, and I really like that. I also noticed the complete lack of trees or vegetation besides grass in that area.


Afterwards, I made my way back through difficult-to-pronounce towns such as Beddgelert, Penrhyndeudraeth and Machynlleth. I also stopped in the coastal town of Aberystwyth both because I was distracted by castle ruins right on the coastline and because I was feeling a bit dizzy, most likely because I was dehydrated and very hungry.

Wales has been great so far, and I can finally give it some love. It's a beautiful country with its own unique culture and language. From here I need to get back to Bournemouth to return the bike and return to real life (is this real life, living in the United Kingdom?) and finish this schoolwork.

5/6 - I'm back in Poole. That makes Day 2 of riding at least 200 miles. The roads north of Poole are amazing when it's not raining or windy; who would have thought?

Anyway, I went to Brecon Breacons National Park today, where I conquered Pen y Fan. It was tough, and much longer than I thought it would be, but it was an accomplishment. The trail up to the summit was tough. It was straight up the hill with no breaks. I began to feel like I had been doing squats for hours. I even began to talk to myself, urging myself not to quit. But the reward was me seeing some amazing views; I got a lot of footage with the GoPro, so the video I'll make will be epic. Thanks to Sion for the tip.


I leave Wales kind of like how I left Italy: with nothing but good things to say about the people. From what I experienced, every Welsh person was glad to talk to me, have a conversation and teach me how to say Welsh town names, even though one or two people actually said I still have a strong accent despite living here for nine months. And really, I'll now give Wales some love to everyone I come across, because, obviously, Wales deserves some love. It's a beautiful country, especially on a motorcycle.

I used the GoPro in several different ways today, including pointing it at myself during rides. During one such time through Bath (I dislike that city now), the GoPro actually fell off the bike and I was forced to park the bike in the middle of a fork on the busy motorway, track back 150 yards on foot and dodge traffic to retrieve the camera. After all, it's not even mine. I worried Danny by texting him, "Funny story about the GoPro...:(" But I took it on the bike and the hikes. I got some incredible footage, including the time the camera fell off the bike. I can't wait to edit that footage.

Like I said, I rode about 200 miles back to Poole today. Riding is too much fun. It doesn't really get old. And I still have it for tomorrow, so I might ride it west of Poole, towards Swanage. If there's one thing I learned from this adventure, it's that it doesn't take a special brand of guts to do what I did. To travel on a motorcycle for five days takes smarts and caution, not bravery. Sure, there was the occasional fellow rider who tore past me going 40 miles per hour faster, but that's just the superior power of their bike, not my riding skills.

But it also shows every country has its own selling points. Wales was one of those countries I never really had a desire to visit. But now, I have to give every country a chance. And honestly, I'll now give a lot of credit to Wales for being a very friendly place and a country with incredible roads for a motorcycle.

So the next country in which I ride a motorcycle, the top speed will have to top 95 miles per hour. That'll be easy, considering this bike (another picture of it, I know. But it's a great little machine) is just 650cc. I can go higher than that now. This bike felt sluggish at times, like when I opened the throttle to pass slow traffic.


In the words of a lecturer, I'm a nutter. Yup, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment