Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Epiphanies, meeting an old friend and San Francisco

1/3 - I learned something about myself this weekend; it was an epiphany, if you will.

When it comes to traveling, I don't overthink anything. I book the plane tickets and figure out where I'll stay just a few days before, if not the same day. It's the spontaneity I love about that. In fact, I underthink traveling sometimes, but my adventures have pretty much always turned out memorable and successful. I don't care how safe that area is. I don't care about every single noteworthy spot. I hate to plan every step of the way; just being there is the thrill for me, and a great story always seems to come out of it.

When it comes to women, I overthink every step of the way which is why I've had minimal success with the opposite sex throughout my life. I overanalyze and care too much. Now, if only I could adopt the travel mindset when talking to women or asking them out for a date. That would (theoretically, in my head) make it easier on me. There's never spontaneity with women. I always end up hanging back and thinking too much, psyching myself out of talking to females. I don't relate to them, nor do I completely understand them, but I'm attracted to women. If anything that comes from this, it's this:

Overthinking murders spontaneity.

I spent the weekend in the Bay Area because Danny was visiting from the United Kingdom for work. This is the guy with whom I went on two epic road trips and we've seen each other at our worst, so it was good to hang out with him, even if it was only for a few hours in Mountain View.

We spent a few hours catching up and talking about old times in England at Bournemouth. While I do miss seeing my friends from there, living in the dorm and traveling everywhere, I'm at peace with the fact I moved back to California. I've said this many times before, but I took total and complete advantage of that year abroad; I have no regrets.

We drove around in his brand new Camaro convertible and visited the Google headquarters. The campus is neat because there are bicycles for employee use called "Google bikes." It seemed like a great place to work, though we never saw the inside of the building.





And after Danny had to leave for work, I drove a bit farther north to South San Francisco where I screwed around in the San Bruno Mountain State Park, where I did a bit of walking and shooting pictures with the GoPro. It's always such a thrill to get out in nature, to a place where you can hear yourself think and shirk all adult responsibility if only for a few hours. The mountain I hiked overlooked San Francisco and Daly City. It was a clear day, except for the fog that shrouded the Bay Bridge.



Later, I took BART into the city to have lunch with a friend. San Francisco is always fun to visit, to wander around on foot. It's very colorful, like Dublin is, and one of the most fun things to do in the city is to sit back and people-watch (there's no shortage of characters in San Francisco).

The short encounter with Danny and the trek into San Francisco made me realize something else: I could be doing a lot better in terms of work and the way I present myself. Perhaps I'm too comfortable in this spot. I haven't set any goals for myself in the near future, and that's part of the reason why my Coast Guard application is still very much unfinished. It's also why I haven't applied to anywhere else for work, or even explored openings. It's also the reason I show up to work in a T-shirt, jeans, ratty shoes and a beard that has grown out of control.

I'm cheating myself, all because I've fallen into a routine that is comfortable. I'm not shooting for more, which is unfortunate...

In other news, my trip to Chicago is booked. I'll only be there for three nights, but it should be a great time. I've heard nothing but good things about that city.

No comments:

Post a Comment