Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Adios to Kaichi, Poole and an encounter with an old friend

19/6 - I start off by admitting I have writer's block. I've been running off of the minimum amount of sleep during this trip to London; last night I had a total of two hours of sleep. But, it's all been worth it.

This weekend was a learning experience because my kids showed me how to write my name in Japanese. In the language, I am Maikeru (Mah-ee-ke-roo). On Saturday we were stuck in a classroom doing cultural activities, and just like last year it was a great way to break down language barriers. But unlike last year, my kids have been speaking to me in English with enthusiasm, without me having to facilitate anything.

But over the past few days I've noticed how Nono and Tatsuki have grown in confidence in terms of speaking English to me. The two are comfortable now. It really helps that they understand I am patient with them while they speak to me and search for that hard-to-find word. I've also shown I will help them finish a sentence for them if they need it.

I've enjoyed seeing how Shunsuke is the outgoing jock of the group, to how Ryunosuke is the shy and introverted one. I rarely hear him speak, but I know he is pretty good at composing music based on his oral presentation. Arima is...I'm not sure how to say it. The word that immediately comes to mind is "square." He follows all the rules and sometimes is a bit serious when Shunsuke teases him. I guess you could say he's a bit rigid. But, he speaks a lot and puts forth a great effort. I found out recently he joined the tennis club at school and lasted exactly one day because he didn't like the physical exertion tennis forces from you.

Nozomi was impressed when I used chopsticks while eating Chinese food in Chinatown today. She and Nono are very talkative now and so expressive it's a bit funny when I reveal some incredible fact of information, such as when I showed them my driver licence when I was 16 years old and had long hair. Yuma is a bit more reserved, but she constantly smiles and is nice to be around. Tatsuki is eager to speak English as well, and he has been known to troll with his group mates with a completely straight face, such as when he was trying to convince Shunsuke to drink watermelon juice at dinner today. None of them liked the juice!

We have just one more full day with this program, and it simply flew by. I highly enjoyed my second encounter with Kaichi High School and its students and do hope to participate again next year. I've noticed I'm more comfortable around the students as well because I already know how this turns out. No worries, no stress.

It also helps to not secretly take my group to Piccadilly Circus and later be caught by teachers, like last year...

20/6 - I've forged much better connections with the kids this week compared to last year. Most of them have been asking for my Facebook information or phone number, so I will probably keep in contact more with this group.

As with last year, I saw how competitive Japanese kids are when they play sports. We played Dodgebee today, a cross between dodgeball and frisbee. These kids are diving on the floor, jumping for everything and sprinting; it's impressive to see. The game was very fun, especially because I have the simple talent of throwing a frisbee correctly.

During the farewell party, the group gave me a thank-you poster with notes from all seven of the kids, along with my Japanese name spelled out in Kanji. It was incredibly cool, and something that did not happen last year. I smiled the whole time I read the notes, confirming what I thought about the elevated confidence of everyone. It was a great feeling to know it was a positive experience for the kids.

21/6 - The kids left Brunel University for good this morning, but not before I met them for breakfast one last time. I finally gave them my gift, which was a hand-written note for everyone along with chopsticks and British candy. But then I felt my gift was a tad too simple when I realized they were going to give me even more gifts! I now have plenty of Japanese candy and food, and Shunsuke actually signed a baseball he played with at Kaichi and gave it to me. That was the coolest thing I could have imagined.



With just a few more moments left with the kids, I taught them games they can play on the coach to the airport and in the airplane, and gave Arima and Shunsuke chest bumps. I wasn't emotional to see them go like many other people were, but I was happy and proud to have helped these kids improve their English and their confidence. I gave the kids my contact information and encouraged them to keep in contact, so I know it won't have been the final time we saw each other. I expect at least one of them to reach out; if not, it's no big deal.

 This year helping Kaichi was a massive success and I hope to do it again next year. While I took part with the selfish wish of traveling, I also had a positive impact on kids from another country. I want to make the world a better place, if even for just one person. I accomplished that goal for seven kids over five days; we traveled from opposite ends of the world to meet up in London, and it was a fantastic fit. Perhaps fate meant for an American and seven Japanese teenagers to meet up and accomplish something positive in a world filled with negativity. Here's to next year's Kaichi High School students.

After I left Brunel bogged down with so many gifts, I currently find myself in a familiar place: Poole. Being here is a welcome flashback to a year of my life, spent in a foreign place forging connections from all over the world and manufacturing crazy stories.

It is a place Bill and I terrorized the local pubs, such as the Jolly Sailor. In fact, I ran into Bill on High Street about 10 minutes after getting off the train. He's been sober since I left, and it's probably a good thing I'm not here to drink with him. I think that's why he didn't return my phone call when I first got into London. While it would have been nice to grab a coffee and catch up, I understand. He wasn't trying to be rude; it's just how British people are to avoid being too forward with someone.

Here's to the travel during the rest of the week to Cherbourg and Paris, and back to California.

1 comment: