Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Revelations, England and a new understanding

1/6 - After talking with a friend today, she helped me reach more enlightenment about myself: I love control.

This is why I enjoy traveling. What it really boils down to, I enjoy the control of going where I want, when I want. I love the planning. I love controlling how I get there and in which fashion. That's why I enjoy traveling alone, because I don't have to cede control to another person. That's why I'm rarely stressed when I travel by myself: I'm the one making decisions.

10/6 - I'm beginning to understand what I really want to do with my life. I desire a career working in international relations. For example, this whole week I was looking forward to a job interview with the British Consulate in Los Angeles. This would have been for a position called Politics and Public Information Officer.

Unfortunately, the recruiter did not call me when I thought she would. I got my hopes up fantasizing about having a career that would involve international relations, traveling, living in a big city, etc. I felt cheated when the recruiter didn't call. I was angry. I was depressed. I was dumbfounded. All day yesterday I couldn't get out of that haze of disappointment.

But, within the past few minutes I have had another epiphany. I was so upset about that situation because this is what I want to do with my life. I saw an opportunity I dearly wanted, and it passed me by. Out of disappointment comes realization and enlightenment. I have a new purpose and goal. This has given me a new fire and enabled me to cheer up considerably. A career within the international community is something that fits me perfectly, and that is where my focus will be. I think joining the United Nations is a suitable goal.

In other news, my trip to England is coming up quickly. I still only have a rough plan of what I'll do after leaving London. I know I want to take the train to Poole to stay with an old friend and then take the ferry to Cherbourg, and eventually a train to Paris where I will meet another friend from Poole.

I am still trying to find a host for my first night in London, and I still need to buy tickets for the trains and ferries. But I'm looking forward to another adventure and to meet up with some old friends.

13/6 - It's the eve of another adventure. I fly to England tomorrow! Most of my plans are relatively solid, but I still don't have a place to stay at in London Tuesday evening. And in Paris, I'll stay with Magda, an old friend from Bournemouth who now lives in Paris. This'll be another long travel day, as I will drive from Sacramento to Porterville and then Los Angeles in the morning. Here's to travel.

Also, Nikolaj and Edward go home to Denmark and Norway on Tuesday because their exchange program has ended. It has been excellent to get to know them. But they are now legitimate travelers, and it is their duty to host other travelers when needed. They are a part of this community now.

14/6 - Well, I have a hostel in London for my first night there. But I'm going into this trip a little bit unprepared because I still haven't informed my bank that I'm going overseas, as of this writing. Perhaps that's why I can't buy a Eurostar ticket yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment