Thursday, January 29, 2015

Honing my craft

27/1 - After making a fuss about us needing to practice more tackling on Facebook in the football group, we set up an impromptu tackling session this morning at Slades Farm with Coach Charlie, at the expense of some vacation time with his girlfriend. So unintentionally I did some cockblocking on my coach.

But the session was good, though only four of us showed up. It was great to learn basic technique. Though I'm feeling more and more comfortable, I still have a massive amount of trouble when the runner tries to change direction on me. So of course I felt more frustration from that. And at the chalkboard session, we watched video of the Sussex game. I was able to see I was blocked in the back on the play where I dove for the quarterback. That should have been a penalty, but it wasn't called, much like a lot of other plays during the game. It turns out British referees are kind of terrible at their jobs. But I can't be too upset as I know firsthand how difficult that job can be.

28/1 - I think I need to give my body a rest. My thigh is still tight, my shoulder is sore from throwing with Charlie, my thumb was jammed this morning in practice and I rolled my ankle. I'd love a message.

I went to Goldsands Stadium, the home of Bournemouth AFC, to interview Joe Quigley who is on the youth team and on loan at Poole Town. The stadium is pretty cozy and I'd love to go to a game there. But this was another opportunity to explore my city, as the stadium is all the way in the borough of Boscombe, which is known for violent crime. It didn't look too bad, to be honest.



This should probably be written in hindsight (considering the fact I had to Google the correct way to spell "should," but I had a blast at my first social with the American football team. I missed the details of the need to dress in army uniform and bring your own bottle (BYOB). But I got plenty buzzed in the end, as I was forced to drink jungle juice from my own shoe, because of the fact "I'm too good to dress in uniform". Jungle juice is when everyone around the room pours a little of their own drink inside one cup, in my case, my shoe, whether it be beer, wine, spirits or anything else. It didn't taste bad to be honest.

I think I gained a little bit of respect by being there (it was my first social out of many this year) and I learned the team likes me way more than another guy who hasn't been to any socials like me: Jake.

Jake is an egotistical 18-year-old English guy who is one of the most talented players on the team. For example, he demands why he doesn't get the ball after every play. Even his family talks trash about the quarterback who doesn't get him the ball, like what happened on Sunday vs. Sussex. I consider Jake my friend, but I don't trust him, nor do I consider him a good teammate. Coach Charlie said all of Dorset (this county) wouldn't be able to contain his ego, which is very true.

1/29 - I started looking through hosts on Workaway again. This time I sent an email to a family from Nairobi, Kenya. I talked about how a trip there would give me a different perspective in that I'd be different because of my skin color for the first time in my life. I also said I have a roommate from Kenya and how I think Kenyans are very friendly people. I hope they respond.

Sunday we go to Portsmouth for a "home" game against the Portsmouth Destroyers. It turns out we can't play at the rugby club in Christchurch anymore because the rugby team complained about the field getting too torn up from our games. So that makes us nomads for the final two games.

No comments:

Post a Comment