Monday, February 16, 2015

Done with football

2/14 – Kate has moved to the floor below us because we are too noisy. Essentially I feel backstabbed. I've never known someone I considered a friend who is just able to walk out like that and probably never speak to me again. But I’ve talked about it enough so I’ll leave it at that.

We had our final football practice on Friday. It was raining the entire time and we were forced to squelch through mud. But it wasn’t that cold and it was incredibly enjoyable. There’s something very refreshing about getting splattered with mud. But that day was all about perspective. I may not feel like I’m good at something or don’t like something, but someone else will feel completely opposite. For example, Coach Charlie came up to me after practice and told me I’m a good tackler from what he’s seen on tape. It’s little comments like that which make you realize you need to take a step back and rethink things.

I’ve written about how I think my classes are too easy before. But I’m bringing it up again because Bill confirmed to me over a pint of beer that the masters programs are either much easier than the undergraduate programs, like mine, or incredibly unrealistic, like the journalism program. The university only has masters programs as a way to bring in revenue. And because the university targets international students, particularly from Asia, and admits them even though some aren’t particularly strong with the English language, it has to drag down standards so they’ll be able to handle it. If they have the money to pay, that’s all the school is looking for, high chance of failing be damned. Additionally, I believe the school holds people whose first language is English to a higher standard than those with a different mother language. That double standard is ridiculous.


So I would be much angrier than I am if I came to this country specifically for school. I’ll have a master’s degree, but I won’t feel like I accomplished anything. There’s very little value for money here, and it’s super disappointing. To me, the only selling point BU has is its location.  

16/2 - Football season is over. We were creamed at Solent in Southampton yesterday, but it was a very positive day. The Redhawks' artificial turf was excellent, it wasn't windy or cold and I just had fun. I played a lot at strongside linebacker, and I recorded a tackle, tipped a pass while blitzing the quarterback and recovered a fumble. I have another giant bruise and the charlie horse I got while getting cut at the goal line is still there. I got the full experience yesterday, so I'm happy. 

I thinking about putting my name down to play in a rugby tournament in May, both as a new experience and to have something to do now that football has ended. 

Saturday I went to my first Bournemouth AFC game with the sports editor of the student newspaper: Ross. I like that stadium as 10,000 people make for a very cozy environment with not one bad seat. And afterwards we went to the postgame press conference with the manager. Surprisingly, you don't need press credentials to get in!

But I need to find a way to fix my computer, considering there's some sort of virus on it that is making it run slowly. I'm not complaining though, as I acknowledge I didn't have virus protection until this morning.

And here are some photos from my trip to Brownsea Island. I finally got the pictures from Naomi.




No comments:

Post a Comment