Wednesday, February 18, 2015

From football to rugby we go

17/2 - As it turns out, the game against Solent was broadcast live over the Internet. Here's the link to the game, complete with graphics, commentary and score. I think my pass deflection while on a blitz is between 50 minutes and 55 minutes. In hindsight, I thought I got my arms up pretty early, but on the film I flung them up right at the last second. My fingers were stinging for the rest of the half from that tip.

I'm No. 31. The starter at my position is Gideon, No. 27. Coach Charlie has a halftime interview. You'll be able to see the kind of athlete one of the team captains, Charlie Sweet, is. He's a receiver with some serious wheels. My American teammate, Justice, is the quarterback. He had his worst game at the worst time. I felt bad for him.

And another thing: my teammate Justin usually passes around caffeine tablets before games. I took one. Never again. I was so jittery and I couldn't speak!

18/2 - Yesterday's weather was absolutely fantastic, not a cloud in the sky and relatively warm. I took the opportunity to wander around Poole and explore more. I found a church crammed into a small square of a neighborhood where one-lane streets snake throughout. I also found a microbrewery which I took Tim to and he loved it.

I went to another Poole Town game, and this time I was able to interview one of the defenders for about 15 minutes. He's a former captain before he left for another club for a year. It's fun getting to know this club, and it's easier since I know how from my time with the paper.

I played rugby for the first time ever this morning. We were just learning the basics, but it's completely different from football. And getting up early to go play a game with teammates is the perfect way to wake up and start the day. I'm also partly playing so family can see me in action when they come here.

No comments:

Post a Comment