Wednesday, May 25, 2016

A birthday, a crossroads and a Mexican doctor

23/5 - Yesterday was Rita's 68th birthday. Diego's mother is a very fun, friendly, open and kind woman, and she definitely does not look her age. In fact, she looked 30 years younger when she danced to orchestra music Diego set up for the older guests. Tampico is her hometown, but she hasn't been home for her birthday for 48 years so it called for a large celebration.

Diego has a massive family, and I was a bit overwhelmed at one point after being introduced to countless cousins. Apparently Rita is the only one in the family who can get everyone to show up in one place because everyone loves her so much. But after drinking a Tecate, I had to excuse myself to lie down and nap because it gave me a headache. Other than that I know my body is fighting something off, because I'm pretty sure I had a fever and chills yesterday. Food cleanliness and safety doesn't appear to be a high priority here, but I digress.

There was plenty of singing at this party and dancing to salsa, orchestra, reggaeton and other Latin music, and of course plenty of alcohol. I chose to stick to water after returning to the party. Diego's family was concerned after learning I wasn't feeling well, and they did everything they could to help me feel better, which I appreciated.

We ate rice and chicken topped with a mole sauce, which was a recipe from Diego's grandmother. It was a tad sweet while also a tad spicy. It was excellent, and I would have had more if I felt better. And when almost everyone had left, Diego took out his Cuban cigars and shared one with me and Miguel, another cousin of his. It was another first for me, and special because Cubans are top-quality cigars.



The best part about yesterday was how everyone seemed to welcome me, the only gringo in the city of Tampico and at that party. I've already been invited to a cousin's quinceanera (a girl's 15th birthday party, the time when she becomes a woman) and have been told countless times I'm welcome back. It looks like I need to plan to return to Mexico in December of 2017. It's these forged connections all over the world which makes travel fun to me. Mexico seemed close before, but now it's even closer. My Latino cousins expect me to return.

24/5 - My stomach felt worse yesterday which is why we had a late start. We went looking for applesauce but settled for electrolyte-replenishing drinks. From there we made it to the beach, where we sat on chairs in the sand under some shade and snacked on more Mexican treats such as Troles (a cup of corn topped with butter, salt, mayonnaise, milk, cheese, lemon and chile) and coco (sliced coconut with lemon and chile powder). 

It was during this time I realized I'm at a crossroads in my life. There are certain aspects that seriously need to be corrected in order to achieve balance, and I need to make a decision. It was an enlightening day, including being charged five pesos to use the most disgusting bathroom I've encountered during my travels.


We then sat down as a family in the evening and ate Tacos de Trompes, another excellent, but spicy, food here. I'm learning a lot about our southern neighbors and enjoying it.But this meal only made my situation worse. 

This morning my stomach felt the worst it has during the week; There was a pressure there I've never felt before, and I was bloated and unable to burp or anything else. Diego and I visited a local museum, but all I could do was lie down on a bench so as to calm my stomach. This was the point I actually had to visit a doctor. 


The conclusion? I've eaten way too much spicy food during the week, and it's simply the diet of a different country that has caused so much chaos within my body. This has never happened to me, but I have learned my lesson. Next time I go to Mexico, I will pack less underwear and more medicine. 

The doctor (who was only 27 years old) and the pills he prescribed cost about 120 pesos, about six USD. Going to a doctor in Mexico is actually pretty quick and pain free. When you see a pharmacy, there is usually an adjacent room where a doctor can be found. Here the doctor will listen to what's wrong with you, ask questions and examine you. If I had stayed in Mexico for a few more days, Diego said the doctors would have given me shots that would have cleared my little ailment straight away. No medical insurance needed and little paperwork. But even by taking a break with spicy/acidic food, I'm feeling a bit better already and can now say I've visited a Mexican doctor. If nothing else, I can't say the week in Mexico was uneventful!

While I have new cousins in Mexico, probably the most important thing I (or anyone, really) can take away from this trek is to not be afraid to travel anywhere. There were several people who asked me before the trip why I'm going to Mexico. Hadn't I seen the news or heard about the cartels? The media present a very narrow viewpoint about faraway places so we should take what we hear about with a grain of salt. If you want to judge a place, visit it first.

What I found in Tampico was a kind and generous family who was always looking to help me. They didn't have much, but they are as happy as can be. And I previously said Diego's family lives in two adjacent houses, but it's more like three houses in a row, a couple houses behind them and several more scattered within 100 yards. Everyone in that neighborhood knows each other. But the lesson here is that the media doesn't show the good people of a particular place, only the bad because that's what attracts the most ratings.

25/5 - As I write this from Benito Juarez International Airport in Mexico City, the trek back to Porterville has begun. That means two more flights and a 150-mile road trip. It's all part of the fun of traveling. And while this chapter is closing, it marks the beginning of a new one. My return to England to work with Kaichi High School is just a few weeks away. I will close this blog with a colorful sentence enhancer that will hopefully encourage you to improve your view of the world.

Fuck fear. It only serves to limit you.

No comments:

Post a Comment