Monday, March 13, 2017

A difficult party, Vichy and the language exchange

I've started this off a bit out of context. The article will explain my situation eventually, so bear with me to begin. Also, please enjoy the pictures, as I have had a blast playing with the new camera. 

11/3 - I've been reading about power lately. One thing we must learn to recognize is when to submit and how long we must endure that period.

For example, the Reichamanns hosted a party tonight. There were 15 people and I was the only non-French speaker. At first, it was stressful. For a few moments I went back to the days when I would become flustered and struggle to say the simplest things in my new language. But, I remembered something.

The most important thing we can learn is how to control our emotions. So, I took a breath and relaxed. I opened my mouth and just spoke. I spoke French to the Reichmanns' friends and they understood me. In fact they were impressed that I've only studied French since October.

This was one of those situations when I accepted that I had no power, so I could just ride the wave. In a room where I was the only person with a different native language, I figured my best option was to laugh at myself and all of the jokes and pleasantries thrown my way. Laughing at oneself cures everything.

But I also remembered from my readings to keep myself in control. I stopped drinking wine and beer after a while and observed the other guests descend into intoxicated oblivion, eventually to a point where some began smearing cake on each other's faces. It was quite funny to watch, and the fact I was laughing at myself made others around me relax.

So, even though I didn't have much power there in terms of fluent communication, I still retained some power by relaxing and controlling how I projected myself to the rest of the guests.

So by that reasoning, I was the most powerful person in the room!

13/3 - Now to introductions. Marie-Amance's father, Phil, collected me from the train station in Vichy last week. It was excellent to see him again, and he showed me around downtown on foot. He introduced me to his girlfriend, Genevieve, and eventually took me to the Reichmann's house where we all had dinner. Phil gives English lessons to the Reichmanns twice per week, and it's here where I'm staying for seven days in a French-English language exchange.

Jean-Phillipe has a goatee and bald head, and is shorter than I am. He built a successful plumbing and heating company, which he sold back in September, and he's a fan of American muscle cars; he owned a new Camaro until recently. 


His wife, Nathalie, is a long, lanky and slim woman with red hair; she's elegant. There are some pictures of their wedding in the house inside this spacious home; my favorite of which is of Nathalie, in her wedding dress, pulling a bemused-looking Jean-Phillipe by his tie.


They have two children: Dany (6) and Jade (8). Both of them were shy on the first day, but they warmed up quickly to me. Dany, especially, enjoys throwing plastic-tipped darts or playing Playstation 4. I have trouble understanding him sometimes because, as all young children do, he speaks in that much-too-cute high-pitched voice. Jade speaks quickly and has a large birthmark on her face, which sort of looks like an old burn.


There are similarities to my month in La Almunia de Doña Godina in Spain a couple of years ago, but Jade and Dany are a bit more calm compared to Alex and Nuria; there have been no temper tantrums, and the only loud piercing screams have come from Dany when he scraped his back while climbing a tree or skinning his wrist upon falling down into gravel while running. The two kids are quite polite, especially at the dinner table; I noticed they always say "please" and "thank you," in both French and English. 

But before arriving in Vichy, I foresaw the similarities and pledged to myself to use the lessons I learned in Spain for this experience. In Spain I learned how immature I still was and that I had forgotten how the mind of a child works. Nuria and Alex tested me, because I took myself so seriously. Only now do I understand that Nuria and Alex were still in their unchanged natural states, whereas I was wrapped up in social protocols that had been drilled into me since I was their age and expectations of others, as well as myself. 

Anyway, it's only been three days or so here in Vichy, but the Reichmanns already seem more comfortable speaking English and vice versa with me and French. But, Spanish is still in my mind and the odd Spanish word slips out instead of French. Just like in Spain, though, I have noticed a sort of reversal. My brain is switched into French mode, so I think and speak in French even when explaining English. It's the opposite for the Reichmanns. 

As for Vichy itself, it's a quiet place, so unlike Paris (and thus, like Cherbourg). The fact it sits near a dormant volcano means one can find both hot springs and natural sparking mineral water springs around the area. There are several taps around the city which tap into these deep underground springs, and the resulting water is free of charge to the public. People can just walk up and fill several large bottles of the stuff. Though I usually dislike sparkling water, this is a bit less carbonated and has a different taste. 

1 comment:

  1. Can't tell you how many I've said Italian words while speaking Spanish. With those Latin languages it's so easy to do.

    ReplyDelete