Sunday, March 5, 2017

Photography, revisiting Mont St. Michel and some visitors

3/3 - It's time to accept something new about myself.

Just like my father, I am a photographer. At least, this art form is fun and comes easily to me.

The more I handle this camera, the more time seems to slip away. With photography, except in specific circumstances, the abstract idea of time does not matter. Each and every place is an opportunity to produce a great photo.

With this camera, my mind takes on a new function. I get lost simply imagining a new picture. I find satisfaction in getting a good shot, even if I have to sit on my backside in wet sand or lie prone in dirt.
 

And while exploring Mont St-Michel with my parents (this time sans thick fog) the community's tiny alleyways and staircases provided ample opportunities to project my imagination.


As I climbed, zigged and zagged looking for an interesting shot, I noted how I was locked in on the moment, like a laser-guided missile. It didn't matter where I was, when I was or even who I was. The most important thing in that moment was creation. I had detached myself of my emotions, and even myself, in those moments.

But the thing about the commune is how difficult it is to do it justice through photography. No matter what angle I took or where I snapped a shot, I couldn't truly capture the grandeur of this place. Mont St. Michel is simply one of those places one must visit in person to truly appreciate.

I've been introduced to a new idea today. From the 12th Tradition, one should put aside their personal beliefs and desires for the good of the group. In order to take care of business as efficiently as possible for a group, decisions must be made made on relevant information rather than off the sway of emotions or personal dislike of others. 

Sometimes, the aforementioned group can contain a single entity: the Self. We must put aside emotions, desires, dislikes or self doubt in order to make a decision that will benefit ourselves at an individual level. This is what I did before coming to France. A part of me knew it was the way forward so I put my full effort into the application for the visa. I submitted the application but kept my expectations in check.

4/3 - Believe it or not, I locked myself and my parents out of the flat last night because I left my keys inside the rental car after returning it. So as we walked towards the pizza restaurant, I suddenly remembered where they were and had that small moment of panic. But immediately I felt calm inside my own head.

It wasn't important that I had forgotten them. What mattered was that I found myself with the sudden, burning desire to fix this problem as soon as possible. I was calm, relaxed, cold. I had a course of action inside my head. When I finished my pizza, I left the restaurant and set off quickly on foot.

This time, I knew the name, phone number and address of the woman who has a copy of my flat key. This time, my phone had battery life. This time, I was warm. After a few phone calls and 45 minutes later, I had the key in my hand and got inside my flat. 

So, that story was much less exciting than the one in late December. But, I know the landlord now, a small, elderly woman who is suspicious at first but friendly afterwards. In fact she swung by my flat yesterday to give me information about where I can take French lessons in Cherbourg.

This is another connection.

5/3 - The presence of my parents in Cherbourg is great because I can show others my new home from my point of view. While on our field trips to Mont St. Michel and Omaha Beach, I found satisfaction in seeing the reactions of my parents to places I've already had the fortune to see. 

I was happy to drive my parents all over Normandy, because this is their vacation and I have the privilege of doing so. 

Another positive of their visit is that I seem to have improved my French because I am ordering for them at restaurants and translating for them. The language is slowing down a little bit when a native speaks it. The fact my parents have someone who knows a little bit of French makes them more comfortable.

1 comment: