Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Positive vibes annihilate Negative Nancys

9/7 - Yesterday was the awards night with the American football club. It was great to get together with everyone, down in the stuffy cellar of the Four Horsemen pub. I'd like to write something fancy, but there wasn't much to it. All I can say is about what the team means to me. Those guys helped me get comfortable in a new country, and I'm so grateful for that. This was such a great team because everyone, besides one, were great teammates. The guy who was voted team MVP, Charlie Sweet, is one of my most favorite teammates I've ever had, and that's because he's so humble despite being so gifted. He's basically everything every guy wishes they could be. But this team was my first group of friends. I learned a new sport with them. We struggled through practices, sweated and got hurt together. Joining this team was the greatest decision I've made since coming to England.

12/7 - I have to apologize for waiting so long between each post. These last few weeks have been a little bit dull compared to that week in mainland Europe. But things are about to pick up, especially in June!

Our rugby tournament is fast approaching. We've (the people who do show up) been going hard in practices lately, and on Sunday we actually started bringing each other down to the ground. After Sunday's session, we were dirty, bleeding, bruised and exhausted, but exhilarated. My teammates have been singling me out after practice for playing well and making plays. It's really flattering because I think rugby is easier to pick up than American football. Here's to practice in the morning.

I made the trek to the Calshot Activity Centre this morning for my interview. It wasn't terrible, but I've also had better interviews. If this does happen, it'll be a short-term placement, as there are no actual available openings; This is something that is being done for the benefit of a student. I'll do data entry, some video production and the odd snowboard instruction. Though there won't be much money in it - if at all - I'll still be able to say I have a little bit of experience in a sporting venue environment. I think it would be a fun place to work at, honestly. I'll have to seriously temper my expectations. And the most important duty of all: keep positive.

One of the best things about the interview was the trek there, even though it was a bit expensive. The good thing about making your way to a place as out of the way as Calshot, is the fact you get to explore an unknown area, thus increasing your knowledge of the country. There is no train that comes close to Calshot. I rode the train to Totton, which is on the edge of Southampton after the New Forest, and then took a taxi the final 14 miles (I heard my wallet moaning in pain in my pocket) in order to make the interview on time. There's a bus that goes from Totton to Calshot, but my train arrived about 10 minutes after it left, so I had no other choice. But I had no problem with the taxi because the driver was really friendly (what brings you here from California, mate?).

The weather today has been incredible. I think my family will be coming at the right time, as it's getting sunny and warm. (But I still think you all should bring a jacket.)

One funny thing that has happened to me in the last day is the fact I'm still kind of tied to Porterville, investigating whether the local paper is going to write a story. It's days like this I wish I was still at the paper because there is so much drama at the city council in Lindsay. A friend of mine works with the city (nod to you, because you know who you are) and is in a peculiar position. After tonight's council meeting, which is sure to attract a lot of media attention because of circumstances only possible in dramatic television shows, my friend will either move up in position or leave her post completely and voluntarily, and head to Costa Rica where she will work with sea turtles. Wow. How dramatic! This is like the penultimate conclusion to an epic struggle, a ruse for power. Things are about to go down tonight in Lindsay, and I wish I had a way to follow online. So to my friend, good luck to you. Whatever happens, you really can't lose. I think we would all love to be in that position.

And finally, Mother's Day was on Sunday. So accordingly, I have to give a shoutout to my mother, Denise Lingberg. This is the woman who kept pushing me to go to grad school. She taught me to question everything, with the most important word being, "why?" I wouldn't be where I am without her influence. She (and dad, of course) has done so much for me, and I have no clue in this wide world of ours how I could pay her back. On Sunday, I sent her a simple message of "Happy Mother's Day!" along with a picture of me with the jagged peaks of the Swiss Alps in the background. It's one of my favorite pictures of Lauterbrunnen Valley - sometimes the simplest gifts are the best.

But having said that, I'm immensely excited to see her when she, dad, Aunt Carol and Kevin come to Bournemouth on Saturday! I'll be able to show all of them all of the great places that inspire me on the south coast of England and the friends I've made from all over the world. I can't wait to see all of them coming out of the terminal at Heathrow Airport. They'll eventually be able to see Central London and why I both love it and hate it at the same time. I'm just looking forward to showing them the places I've been to; they'll finally be able to have memories of the same places I do.

They land at 1 p.m. on Saturday. That means they have to stay awake for eight hours with jet lag. Sleep in the day is bad if you have jet lag. Is it bad to say I'm excited to see them struggle through that first day?

No comments:

Post a Comment