Monday, May 18, 2015

Royal Navy assassins and family visits

16/5 - The weather is absolutely fantastic. It's the perfect time for my family to come. I took the bus to Sandbanks today and got sunburned lying on the beach. It was bliss lying in the warm, reminds-me-of-brown-sugar sand with a gentle breeze dancing across my face. See, English weather is awful most of the time. When it's sunny and warm and perfect like this, there's nothing better.

As it turns out, I didn't get the placement at the Calshot Activity Centre. I wasn't that disappointed considering what we were talking about at the interview. I saw my rejection email, felt that small stab of disappointment for a split second and then moved on. That just means there's something much better for me out there.

But this means I've lost my trust for one of my lecturers. He keeps making opportunities sound much better than they really are, and like yesterday when we met to discuss dissertation methods, I took his job opportunity with a grain of salt. A golf company wants someone to start May 31; this job will be paid, have free accommodation and is based in Tuscany. You need a car, though. While it sounded awesome, I had to hold myself back because of my distrust of the guy. Plus, I'm busy until August. I'll be honest and say I seriously considered blowing everything off and putting my name down for this gig. But I have to give the guy credit for trying hard to find us jobs through his numerous connections. I'll have him edit my CV until it's perfect, but I just don't trust him with anything else. Plus, I have a very strong suspicion he used to be an assassin with the Royal Navy. I straight up asked him if he was; he neither confirmed nor denied it, and then he laughed.

So naturally, I'll just assume my lecturer used to be a Royal Navy assassin. That seems legit.

The commercial team at Poole Town had its first meeting today at Tatnam Ground. We were all sitting in the boardroom lit only by sunlight through the open door and the two dusty, grimy windows, as the electricity was turned off to the building. That meant the countless bottles of beer, soda and lemonade in the fridge were warm and we were unable to make tea or coffee. But as I sat there brainstorming with everyone (Mark, his daughter Sam and Tim), I noticed how comfortable I am here. It doesn't feel like I'm in a foreign country anymore. That's what happens when you learn about characters or rumors in the community, like the potential buyer for Poole Town absolutely nobody likes - that guy was described as "a shark" to me - and news that hasn't been released to the public yet - like how Poole Stadium will be torn down and rebuilt so Poole Town can move in, within the next few years. It's stuff like this that sucks you into a community.

And speaking of the club, I snagged a meeting next week with the Go Outdoors store across the street from Corfe House. It's a big chain, so hopefully I can get a yes then.

18/5 - It's great to see my family again! It was sunny and warm yesterday, but I told them it could start raining the next day. And sure enough, the next day it was raining and storming.

Typical England.

But what's funny is everything I know as normal here is totally new to them. I'll be teaching them about the things that are a bit different here compared to California, and that includes words and food and culture.

And we're thinking about going to France and then Amsterdam, where we'll partake in activities one normally associates with Amsterdam. More adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment