Friday, May 1, 2015

From wedding anniversaries to riots and everything in between

29/4 - I had another Facetime chat with Felix today, but I also spent time speaking to his wife, Rosa, and his two children, Nuria (7) and Alexandro (10). Felix and Rosa want me to only speak English when the kids are around, but when they're out, they'll only speak Spanish with me. Felix likes to run and ride bikes, and it sounds like he's very active. Alex is a big Barcelona fan, and he was wearing a Barcelona shirt when I spoke to them. I'll show him some of my pictures and video from the Barca game I went to; he'll like that. Maybe I'll also give him my Mexico World Cup shirt as a gift.

I talked to Rosa mostly in Spanish because her English isn't great. I told her a little bit about myself, as did she. I was smiling the entire conversation, with all of them. It's a thrill to talk to them, and it never gets old. I even feel a surge of adrenaline. And just by talking to me for a few minutes, and with her brother, mother and father there as well, Nuria looked to get a little bit more comfortable. I like to work with children, but this will be unlike any time I've ever worked with kids. But wow! I've gotten myself into a huge, giant adventure. I cannot wait for June 23!

I had a 4,000-word essay due today. I didn't start it until yesterday. I finished it in plenty of time, but I think I fried my brain in the process. Remember those old anti-drug commercials where the man cracks an egg, fries it in a pan and tells the camera that's what your brain looks like on drugs? That was me yesterday. Luckily I gave myself a break and went to see Poole Town play in their final game of the season. It was a playoff game, but they lost 1-0. It was so disappointing because Poole didn't achieve promotion to the next league up. They absolutely nosedived the final month of the season; that 4-game stretch where they only got one point really hurt them. So they'll play in the same league next year. I'm looking forward to it. Time to start selling advertising.

I'm going to switch tracks here and talk about the riots in Baltimore. While I don't agree with the way people are sending the message, I completely understand it. I think the people have grown frustrated with how the police force, not only in Baltimore, but in the whole country, is able to get away with bullying, assault and murder. The system has failed them dramatically. Even I, who have never had issues with police, have lost all trust of the police. But why is it not OK for people to loot or vandalize cars, but it's OK for cops to use serious force on people, sometimes killing them? It's a difficult situation, that's for sure. And it feels like, hearing about all of these stories from a different country, it's twice as ridiculous. It's embarrassing. Why is America like that?

30/4 - It's time to make another wedding anniversary shoutout, this time to my parents, John and Denise Lingberg. And like I said about Sharon and Brent Gill for their 50th anniversary, I consider them family! But in all seriousness, these two people were the ones who kept pushing me to go to grad school. They've always pushed me a little bit farther. Mom has been known to kick me in the ass or yell in my face and make me feel ashamed when I haven't been giving something my all. And without their immense help, influence and constant support, I'd probably be scooping ice cream somewhere as a best-case scenario. They've been together for 27 years now, as of yesterday. If there's anyone to thank for the head on my shoulders, it's mom and dad. And they'll be here in England in a little more than two weeks to visit in an awesome house next to the beach. That'll be their first time in Europe, along with Aunt Carol and my cousin Kevin. I remember how I felt in the final weeks before leaving for London back in 2010; I wonder how they're feeling? But I'm really excited to see them all again and for them to live here for a couple of weeks.

And one last thing: I've created a catchphrase Tim especially likes. It's very simple and it shows the amount of respect I have for school.

It's only school...

Inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment