Saturday, November 29, 2014

Looking for volunteering opportunities in Spain

25/11 - I've been told several times by different people that I look British. Perhaps it's the short hair and full beard flaked with red. Not sure how I feel about that.

More good news: I've finally registered for WorkAway.com and sent an email to a couple living in Torrox, Spain. They have several acres of land and farm their own food, so they would need help with keeping up this eco project of theirs. The couple is British, but I hope they're fluent with Spanish, as that's my main focus for going on a trip like this. This is the start of something special.

28/11 - It turns out it'll be a search with WorkAway. It's got to be a perfect fit. I've sent a couple emails, but because I'm looking to be immersed in Spanish, the date is too far away or I don't have the right skills, I've been turned away. But like Dory in Finding Nemo says, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..."

So I've reached out to a few more people today, including someone from Madrid who wants to learn about other cultures and cooking and a person from northern Spain who wants English help and has four dogs. It looks like I'm committed to this, so that means only one thing: I'll find something eventually and will actually go to Spain. That's how this whole England move happened after all.

But I remember first learning about this website, aching with desire to go to another country, help someone out, learn a language. I remember it was so bad I had to stay away from the site because it was just make me feel I-want-to-do-this-so-bad anxious. But now, after spending a bit of time searching and having registered, it kind of feels like work to search, send emails and make myself seem like a nice person to be around for a week or two. After all, these people, as well as me, are putting a lot of trust into each other to accept a total stranger into their lives. It's definitely risky.

I celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday, and I didn't think I would. It was much different to what I'm used to, which is having to visit family in a stuffy atmosphere. We had music, were loud, had lots of food and drink and were relaxed and had a good time. We baked a couple chickens and also had some Chinese and Lebanese food, so there was a great mix. Even Bill joined us and had his first drink (or six) in the past three weeks (he eventually sang karaoke in our flat until 2 a.m., stomping his feet, yelling and having a great time. He was incredibly happy the next day and thanked me for inviting him).

Earlier this week all of us in flat 705 went out for a drink. That's the first time it's happened, and it was really fun. I'm glad I've been placed into such an awesome situation.

29/11 - Thanksgiving leftovers are great. They are just great. MMmmm...

Football practice yesterday was productive, though very rainy and wet, as I spent time at both weakside and strongside linebacker. I like how I get more comfortable the longer I do it. That's how I learn. I can't wait for our game at Chichester tomorrow too. It's their first game of the season, and they're like us in that this is their first season as an actual program. We can't uderestimate them. I want to play a lot, get a few bumps and bruises and hopefully get a couple tackles to my name.

Today's weather was warm for this time of year so Kate and I walked around the harbor and park for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment