Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Spontaneous trip to Barcelona

18/11 - Bill has stepped away from drinking because it was starting to become a problem. Though alcohol was the reason we spent time together in the beginning of our friendship, it wasn't the only reason we're friends. If it was, that would be pretty unhealthy and not a very good friendship. It's fun now to go and visit him in his room, have some tea and biscuits and play some Playstation or watch a movie. We've watched the past couple English national soccer team's games on television too, and it's a blast.

I just found out my friend Tamara (enthusiastic nod to you, Tamara, if you're reading) has invited me to a Barcelona FC game on Saturday. If I can get myself to the airport, I'll have a free flight to Barcelona and free tickets to see the best player on the planet in action at Camp Nou: Lionel Messi. I do have plans for Saturday, most notably tickets to an AFC Bournemouth game, but I can go to those games anytime I want. This is a rare opportunity. I gotta take it, even though it means I'll probably miss a football practice or two. (Update: I'll make Friday night's practice no problem, but I'll probably miss Sunday's practice. It'll be one of those whirlwind weekends where I get no sleep because I'm running around a big city in a limited amount of time [going to Los Angeles earlier this year, for example]. Those are the most fun trips).

My cousin Steve (another nod to you, if you're reading) also got in contact with me to say this blog has inspired him to take the leap and make a trip overseas. It was flattering, and it's good to know the blog is being read and making a positive impact on others. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything special here because it's so familiar now, but when I really think about it, I'm still stunned I'm living in England, playing American football and basically doing what I've always wanted. It's an excellent adventure. If my awesome luck can inspire others to try for the same experiences, that's an added bonus.

Lastly, here's the video of our football game from Sunday. I'm No. 48, and my tackle comes around the 25:00 mark. It looks like I shed a block (don't remember that) and wrapped the guy up and began to bring him down when my teammates came in and helped finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment