Sunday, November 30, 2014

Train of adventures keeps rolling

30/11 - I got a reply from a family near Zaragoza, Spain. They basically asked (in Spanish, but I understood) when I'm free and if we can Skype. This is a family I would stay with in exchange for English lessons, and hopefully Spanish lessons as well. I want to go to Spain sometime in the spring or early summer; that way I can spend a few weeks there, and it doesn't have to be just this one. But it's a positive.

My football team played the University of Chichester today, at their place. It was their first game as a new program, and they weren't that bad, honestly. The quarterback was accurate, and we just couldn't defend their passes. The day ended in a frustrating 28-28 draw, partly because there was just a few minutes of light left.

I played a lot, but I was incredibly disappointed with my own performance. Near the end of the game, after my fourth missed tackle (I missed all my tackle attempts), I got moody and felt like doing nothing but slamming my helmet down in frustration. I get in the right positions, but I can't bring the guy down. I felt that way because I absolutely despise myself for putting in a mediocre performance, and it's not limited to just football. However, there was a play where I had great coverage and batted down a pass, so it's not all bad.

The tie would have been bearable had it not been for the fact Chichester's players talked so much trash, especially their slot receiver. He had something to complain about on every play to the referees and ran his mouth when he beat you down the field but didn't catch the ball. Yes, he scored a few times, but shut your mouth! I found out when blocking him he was very soft. Even I had no trouble jamming him and driving him back. I eventually used the word "wanker" to describe him and wanted to punch him in the face. We might be awarded the win, too, because Chichester didn't have the field ready until about 30 minutes after the planned start time. But that won't feel like a win.

On the way back from Chichester, something else new happened to me: I was hazed in the coach. My train of adventures keeps on rolling. The veterans of the team call out rookies to sing something for them on the bus rides back home. They did that this time, but also called out rookies to strip down naked in their seat. I was one who was called out among at least 10 people. Looking back, I'm proud to say I did it. It wasn't traumatizing, as we only needed to strip down in our seat. It would have been a lot worse if we were forced to parade down the isle or something. I know that kind of stuff is illegal in America, but it was all fun and games. It's part of being on a team like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment