Saturday, November 1, 2014

Other cultures, German and my brain

10-26 - I sat out of practice today because my right hip flexor keeps getting sore. I need to find out what's wrong and then do something about it, like get treatment at sportBU. So I spent my time filming practice today.

Being around so many people from all over the world is a learning experience. Just from talking to Stella yesterday, I learned to not trust Nigerians because they tend to lie a lot to get what they want, there are cannibals in Congo and Africans practice witchcraft. Stella told me about how she saw a woman turned into a snake, and it seemed to freak her out just talking about it. African countries seem to have massively different cultures, and it kind of makes me nervous to visit. But again, if I respect people, nothing bad should happen.

Last night I went out with a couple Finnish people, and I learned there's some tension between Finns and Swedish people. For example, in Finland many places speak Finnish and Swedish, and it's like the Latino presence in the states.

30/10 - Yesterday morning I told myself "I'll be super productive today." Unfortunately, I got as far as completing part of my grocery shopping. What happened? Alcohol happened. Stella went with me to the grocery store, but not before we stopped for some coffee with a shot of Jameson because it was raining.

I then went to campus to watch the BU basketball team play Bristol with some of my course mates. We were there to see Alexandros play. It was also a chance to talk to Nico and Freida more, and the more I listen to them speak German, the more of it that comes back to me. And afterwards Krasimir and I had a beer at the bar inside the student union, where Alexandros joined up with us later. (On a side note, it's a little strange to have an actual bar on campus; I'm not used to that!) (And another side note, Krasimir has been speaking English for only a few months, which is impressive because he can communicate and get his ideas across even though he does struggle to find the right words sometimes.)

After the beer with Krasimir, I got on the bus fully intending to go back to the dorm and eat a homecooked meal with Stella, Kate and Tim. But I met Bill on the bus and we went on a spontaneous pub crawl in Ashley Cross/Lower Parkstone, so that means I never met up with the aforementioned three. However, I did let them know what was happening, so no one was upset. I'm just glad they saved me some food, which was awesome.

The point is, as much as I enjoyed yesterday, I'm still disappointed I didn't get anything done. I didn't work more on my essay or study Spanish. Oh well. That's life. You plan to do something, but other unforeseen things interrupt. Life is unpredictable. Especially yesterday.

And, I just realized today that I have the perfect opportunity to go on a WorkAway somewhere. I'm so much closer to everything. I'd like to go help on a farm for a few weeks in Spain. I'm so close! I just need to figure out when I have enough time to actually do this. It makes me very excited. I showed the site to Anna, my Finnish classmate who's also in Corfe House, and she looked very excited to find it. It's something she'd love to do too.

11/1 - After 24 years of experience, I still don't understand my mind. The brain of an introvert is confusing and infuriating. I think it likes to troll on me. For example, I'd like to be in a relationship. It's something I dwell on sometimes in my spare time. But when I get close to establishing that connection, this trusty brain of mine melts down and screams RUN AWAY! DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO RUIN THIS CHANCE! Every. Single. Time. It never fails.

I guess the word to describe my feelings after what I just described, school and football, I'm exasperated. Maybe I'll discuss it with Bill over a pint.

Stella brought a couple of her friends from home to Poole for the weekend. Kenyans are delightful people to be honest.

I'm going to sit out practice on Sunday as well, but I'll do conditioning. I'm not going to disappear because I'm committed to the team. I'm going to get this hip better and then practice next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment