Monday, April 27, 2015

Nepal, Poole Town and a busy summer

27/4 - People around Corfe House are beginning to know me as the laid back guy who does what he says he'll do. And of course, the guy who's in a program so easy it's unfair. And to be honest, I like this reputation I have!

I've written about this before, but school is not my first priority. It's looking like I'll have to find time to fit my dissertation in over the summer. With a motorcycle trip, going to London to work with Japanese high schoolers, going to Spain for a month and now a trek to Finland for a visit with my friend Anna and her family (plus a 500 km road trip) this summer is already jam packed with traveling. That's not including a possible trip to either Kenya or Greece. Needless to say, I never thought this program would be like this. In September, I was expecting to have to study like I had a full-time job, and for that I was a little nervous. But fast forward eight months, and it's been nothing like that, not even a part-time job. While this program is incredibly overpriced, you'll never hear me say it wasn't worth it. I made the best possible decision, and I'd do it all over again (but next time I'd go to school in a Spanish speaking country).

Poole Town saw a record crowd at Tatnam Ground on Saturday. They were playing Corby Town, the second-placed team in the league. If Poole won or drew the game, they won the league. If Corby won, they won the league, so it was a game of very high stakes. So in front of more than 2,200 people, some of whom were sitting on the wooden fence surrounding the ground, Corby won 3-2 in what was a thrilling game that in the end, though it ripped out the hearts of Poole Town fans. Corby went up 2-0, only for Poole to come back at 2-2. Anna, Rebecca and I experienced disappointment, excitement, ecstasy and more disappointment, all within two hours. That's the magic of football.

I played rugby again on Sunday after what felt like a very long time away from the game. I was a little rusty at first, but I'm getting more comfortable with the nuances of the game. It was great to see everyone again and to run around at the park. That tournament in May is quickly approaching, and we'll play whether we're ready to or not.

I'm going to take a break from talking about me, so I can tell you all to do anything you can to help those who were affected by the earthquake in Nepal on Saturday. I can't imagine having to survive something like that. That earthquake essentially disrupted normal societal behaviors and introduced end-of-the-world chaos. As of now, I think the death toll is up to 4,000 and is feared to reach up to 15,000. This is just another reminder of just how bad your day or week can get. You've had a bad day at the office? You're fed up with school? So? It can't be as bad as having your home destroyed by an earthquake and having to live in a tent city with the threat of disease, lack of food, water and electricity and having to sleep in the streets. When I find some way to donate some money, I will. I encourage you all to do the same.

With that being said, here's to more procrastination regarding a 4,000 word essay due on Wednesday. I have just 59 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment