Friday, April 10, 2015

Breaking Bad thoughts, the trip to the Alps and a job with Poole Town

7/4 - Having been watching Breaking Bad for the past few months, I've wondered what it would be like to completely change your identity. You'd be this person with absolutely no history; you're just a name. You can't see any of your family or friends, or go places that are familiar to you. That's the bad part. But I wonder how it would feel to totally start over, to press the restart button. I imagine it would be like what I did when moving here, but on a much, grander and deeper level. But really, if you change your identity, how would it feel to introduce yourself as a different name to other people? Think about it.

"Hi, my name is Carlos. What's yours?"

And if you change your identity, do your tastes and preferences change?

"Hi, I'm Carlos. I know nothing about sports, I prefer not to travel because I don't like other people and I believe Greece should, in fact, receive war reparations from Germany."

Yikes.

Don't worry, I'm not going to change my identity. 

8/4 - Tim and I finished Breaking Bad last night. What a great show. Everything was wrapped up, and it left me thinking about the final episode and how it ended, like only the very best shows and movies do. Hopefully now I can get these assignments out of the way quicker. I'm kind of sad it's over because I felt like I was close to those characters. It was an epic story.

9/4 - I went to the gym with Stella yesterday in Parkstone. I use "gym" loosely. The front windows were cracked and there is a sign indicating the building is a furniture store. The front room is a messy collection of water bottles, boxing gloves and a fan. One corner there's a foamy covering on the floor where the barbell is used. The "office" was a place where forms were stored just by being tossed on the ground next to the pile of tractor tires. There are cracks in the walls and stains on the floor. That was easily the sketchiest gym I've ever been in. But having said that, it was a great workout. Boxing is brutal, and I'd like to learn how to box. I like it because there's a rhythm to it.

I talked with Felix again today. He showed me where his house is, and it turns out there are hills and mountains around that area. He likes to go mountain biking. So come June, I'm excited to go on that trip.

10/4 - Danny and I reserved a car for our trip yesterday. We'll take the ferry from Poole to Cherbourg tomorrow and go from there. We'll be going until next Sunday or Monday. I don't know how to feel about it; it doesn't feel real yet. But hopefully, I'll be able to see mountains again, and they will be some of the grandest mountains in the world: the Alps. And I would like nothing more than to go hiking in those hills. And of course, I'll have plenty of pictures.

I met one of Franky's coworkers yesterday. He comes from Liverpool and has the typical "scouser" accent. I thought he was Scottish at first, but I knew he was from somewhere north. I'm really starting to pick up where accents are from here.

And finally some good news: Out of the five people who applied for the Commercial Manager position at Poole Town, they decided to take on four of those people (including me) to form a commercial team. I'm happy to get the job and I got my leg in the door. Let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment