Monday, April 6, 2015

Trophies, carnies and a road trip

2/4 - On Monday morning I had to give a powerpoint presentation for one of my classes. Considering I was busy all weekend doing much more fulfilling things, it was subpar. However, I passed and that's all I care about.

Poole Town won the Red Insure Cup on Tuesday, even though the game ended 0-0. I was there with a few of my friends from Corfe House. I met with a club official about the Commercial Manager gig. It's something I'll be able to do anytime I want and I would get a 25% commission on sales.

Today I went to the CrossFit gym at the West Hants Tennis Club. I liked that gym much more than the one I live by because it's a lot bigger so there's more space for everyone.

4/4 - This week has been much quieter and relaxed than normal because everyone has a break from school. I've been able to meet more people from my floor the past few days and everyone has been great. We had a movie night a couple days ago, and Julia (from Taiwan) and Magda (Italian) cooked for us. I like the people on my floor.

5/4 - Today is Easter, and there has been a small carnival in the parking lot on the other side of Seldown Bridge. We spent an hour there yesterday and had a great time. It's great for the soul to laugh like a small child while bashing your friends on the bumper cars (while also slamming into children 15 years younger than you).

And it's not a real carnival unless you're on a ride that needs to have people spaced out so at to create balance, or you're on a ride powered by an exposed car engine in the middle. In a real carnival, the frowning ride operators always smoke while in their booth and there's that one 13-year-old kid contributing some child labor on the contraption with chipping paint and aged and torn seat material. And finally, the best sign of a real carnival is the presence of a person throwing up on the sidelines.

But this morning we all met up and had brunch. There were some fried sweet potatoes, chickpeas in Indian spices, guacamole and some sauteed vegetables, among other things.

I also went to meet my friend Danny to discuss what we want to do for this upcoming road trip. I think we'll eventually end up in Northern Italy but we'll go to France and Switzerland and Belgium along the way. Possibly Spain too. But we'll take the train to Dover and share a car with a stranger (ride sharing) on the ferry and then rent a car in Calais. It'll be an adventure for sure.

But he had his cousin and his girlfriend with him, and they were both from Nicaragua. He also had one of his British friends with him. And the one thing this group had in common? We all speak Spanish! I think one of the best compliments I can get is for a native Spanish speaker to tell me my Spanish is good. It's always fun to speak the language, even during Fast and the Furious 7 in the theater last night. It was such a bad movie, and we were bashing it in Spanish the entire time.

But hopefully I'll have a contact for when I want to visit Central America. It's super cheap in Nicaragua; I guess there are 27 Cordobas to $1. Sure. Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment