Thursday, April 23, 2015

Wales, Weymouth and Japanese high school students

21/4 - It turns out the scratch we found near the back tire when we first got on the ferry a week ago was already noted by Europcar, so I get my deposit back for the car and we're in the clear. I told Danny this, but considering where we went, what we did with the car and for how long, keeping that body scuff-free was a huge accomplishment, for both of us. And during his birthday dinner on Monday, our Italian friend Allessandro (a Genoa native) said if we can drive in Italy, we can drive anywhere. We're experts. He then showed us a video of traffic in Florence. There, cars and motorcycles ignore all traffic laws altogether and turn in all different directions, like cockroaches. There was much more space between vehicles, but every move was unpredictable and random.

I walked around with a smile all day Monday just thinking about our adventures. There are so many stories to tell, and people seemed very interested in what we did. Alexandros, one of my coursemates, said he would have gone with us had he known what we were doing. I'm eager to get another adventure going soon, so I'm looking for people to Couchsurf with in the Bangor area of Wales. I want to see more mountains, this time with a motorcycle. Time to make it happen. Update: I found someone near Lampeter, Wales who is happy to host me for a few days in early June. There's my next adventure. My plan is to ride into Snowdonia for a few days. Google it. It's incredible.

The final semester started yesterday, and typical of what I've experienced with this university so far, the lecturer failed to show up, and then later canceled the Friday lecture as well. There's only two of us in this class. Oh well. More time for me to do what I really want!

23/4 - I rode in one of the Poole Town director's convertable on Tuesday to Weymouth, through more green fields and sections of yellow flowers like we saw in France (which turn out to be Rapeseed flowers). I was a traveling supporter for the first time, but there's a group of kids that turn up to every Poole Town game now and make idiots of themselves, and they make the club look bad. They're the very definition of football hooliganism. For example, after a goal by Poole Town, they threw a smoke bomb onto the pitch.

Yesterday morning, I didn't have anything planned for the time between the trip to Wales and the trip to Spain later in June. Thanks to Jess, I do now. She told me about a school program she's involved in where she keeps an eye on Japanese students for a week in London. This program gives you free lodging, free food and pays £300. These kids will come from Kaichi High School in Japan and usually come on a trip to England, and they're always looking for leaders. I'll be overseeing a group of six or seven, and I'll help them speak in English and get comfortable.

I've already sent off my application and the teacher at the school has already accepted me. This is another incredibly random thing to do! I know nothing about Japanese or the culture, but I don't think it matters. Just as long as I can put up with some awkward silences. Check. And it's a legit program, as Jess has been doing it for the past five years. I hear I'll meet a lot of new people, and not just from Japan. But my thinking is I can use this as a way to practice working with kids, as I'll be spending a month with two children in Spain, just a few days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment